Saturday, August 25, 2007

Subject selection time

It has come to that time of year again when students are selecting their subjects. It is a time a love and dislike.

Sometimes I feel like we are in the business of selling a subject instead of supporting students through their learning and into guiding them into pathway that is for them.

As a teacher of Geography, I really have to fight to convince students and parents of the relevance of this subject. There are so many new subjects with popular names that conjure the image of glamour and money.... media....tourism.....business..... And yet today when we went on a university open day, the old academic subjects are still the subjects that the universities want to see the students succeeding in.

However, after the open day there were many students that finally believed me!!!! and they didn't just think I was being precious :)

I know I sound precious, and I probably am, but I am just passionate about Geography and its relevance to the sustainablity of our future.

1 comment:

Jarred Griffiths said...

Hi there,

I am no student of yours, but I am a student of level one geography. I have had the past two weeks off due to illness, yet I could not afford to miss the notes been given in all of my classes (it is easy to fall behind!). In geography we have been studying the farming aspect of the resources paper, and it is at home, writing my own notes that I came across your level one geography blog which contained all the information I needed. I would just like to say thank you, despite not knowing you, or being in any of your classes.

Jarred :)