Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Are we scared or are we safe?

A teachertube video by Cool Cat Teacher Vicki Davis.



Well, last year I would have said that we were being safe when it came to blocking sites that kids could communicate on and share their thoughts. But now I am begining to wonder.
The ideal is awesome and so good for our kids and their learning. They love interacting in real time with people from all over the place, and constantly pushing the boundaries. I find the more "technology" (and I mean this in the broadest sense of the word) I give them, the more they begin to problem solve and completely change what I would have thought they would do!

Isn't this what we want? Kids who problem solve? Can trouble shoot and brainstorm and come up with completely new and creative ways of going something?

The down side of all this is the fact that so many kids are not being taught how to use blogging and various other tools in a respectable manner. Just as we teach kids table manners and how to respect each other, we need to teach them the manners and protcols of online interactions. We don't expect kids to simply know how to respect other people and their differences, we teach them, show them, model it to them. Well, why would it be any different for online interactions?

We need to teach our kids our to interact on the internet in a respectable fashion that they would be proud of in the future. When I introduced
classblogmeister to my senior students, one student asked if this was like BEBO in very excited tones!!!! I responded with hesitation, knowing the bullying and gang recruiting that happens on Bebo.

The same student has now posted some great blogs about Yr 12 Geography. While she knows that I am watching what they say and will not post anything that I consider inappropriate, I hope that by having this kind of experience, she will learn that blogging is not simply about posting what your favourite colour is and what you did in the weekend. While these are not to be looked down upon, I want my students to realise that they have a real voice that people can and should listen to, so why not really say what you think in an appropriate, and respectable manner.

Thanks
Vicki for your video post. It seems everytime I search I come up with something from you. That is a great thing.

Last thoughts, I think I am still safe, but I am learning not to be scared!

1 comment:

Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher said...

Thank you for your compliments. I think that you reflect a lot of the transition I have made in my own thinking about this new fantastic new world -- and "table manners" is a great way to put it as we push up to the Internet table to serve up and be served a palate of Internet sites. Great post!